Sunday, April 8, 2018


Yesterday I drove to Macomb to visit my daughter at school.  This is her first year at Western IL University, and I was pleased that she wanted me to come down for mom's weekend.  After reading a post this past week about "unplugging", I decided it was the perfect day to stay away from technology.  Well at least mostly unplugged...

The drive takes a little under 2 hours, and I did it without the radio!  I sang and did some praying and thinking instead.  I did call my husband when I got there, but then the phone went silent.

After lunch, (Thai and salmon sushi), we took in an art show at the University.  I was itching to take some photos, but resisted.  Arrianne then had practice with her Acapella group.  Two hours of music.  I almost fell asleep sitting in the warm sun shining into the classroom.  It was heavenly to just sit and listen, watching the interaction of energetic  students.

We picked up Coby, Arrianne's current beau, and headed to a Mexican restaurant for dinner.  I was happy to find a few vegan choices on the menu.  I know that Arrianne took our pictures a few times, but my phone stayed in my bag.

Our evening was a musical performance.  The students were very good, but the subject matter was a bit harsh for my taste.  As I sat in my seat, I was very happy that I had decided against inviting my niece to go with to visit her cousin.  She is a freshman in high school and really didn't need to hear the f word that many times...

Being long past my usual bedtime, it was easy to not check my phone or tablet when I returned to my hotel room.  I didn't want to turn the television set on.

24 hours after unplugging...   I did use my phone a few times.  I drove my car.  The tablet stayed off.  Did I miss it?  Not really. 


  1. Way to go, Cheryl! I did the same. I was home and there were several times I was really glad that I'd shut the computer down completely. It has become a habit to walk by, touch the keyboard to wake up the monitor and sit down for 'just a minute' to read whatever has come in. The day felt longer and I was both more relaxed and more productive because I didn't do that.
    I'm delighted that the day worked for you too, Cheryl - despite the evening performance.

  2. I look forward to another unplugged day in the future. Maybe I can get the rest of the family on board...