Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Marc Chagall / Chicago

 I don't live close enough to Chicago to visit the Art Museum as often as I wish, but must admit that when I do, the Chagall windows are always my first stop.  Over the years I've taken many photos, admiring his work.  What is it that intrigues me so?  First - the colours.  Bold use of primary and secondary colours in his work.  Second - his amazing symbolism.  The rooster shows up over and over.  I have delighted in discovering these images in his work.  

It may be because of his work that I first became interested in using symbols in my own work.  My own symbols are rather simple - things like a plus sign to remind me to remain positive.  Looking at his windows in Chicago reminds me to express myself and my own emotions.  To create from my soul. 

My current personal project is stitching little blocks using blue fabrics and threads with the end goal of putting them together into a larger piece.  Much like what I imagine is like putting together a large window.  I think I must add symbols...





 

No comments:

Post a Comment