Sunday, January 1, 2023

Considine Gallery of Fine Holiday Arts / Fulton, IL

 I enjoyed a lovely afternoon with my mom yesterday.  When she invited me, I dragged my feet a bit.  The way she described what we were going to see did not sound very interesting.  "A friend's collections that she has in an old building."  Well - that is not how I would describe what we actually saw.  It was more like, a well displayed collection of fine quality Christmas items from the 1500's up to the 1940's.  The nativities that she has collected over the years came from Germany, Italy and the Czech Republic.  She has figures that are carved from wood and cork (from Portugal).  She carefully collects moss from the woods to enhance her displays.  I was wowed by what I saw!  I wasn't so much interested in the rest of the displays (old trees with antique ornaments), but the nativities - yes!  

For me a few thoughts hit me hard:  

1. I need to enhance my own nativity.  Mine is old, a gift from my grandparents when I was very young.  It came to me about 60 years ago.  I always just set it up.  It needs some moss and trees, and maybe a few new characters - like a dog and some chickens.  

2.  My friends would really enjoy this.  I had no idea that this was here, so close to home.  Is this an annual event?  Does Arlene set this up every year?  She did say that she would be changing over to her Valentine's collection soon.  

3. The building was very nice.  Yes - it was an old building, but had been remodeled with very nice cases and display areas.  It is small, but is it a place for an art show?

For a small donation ($5.00), I truly enjoyed this visual treat. Arlene doesn't keep regular hours, but instead has a sign posted that you can call her and she will be there in 5 minutes.  Talk about keeping staffing costs down!

































No comments:

Post a Comment