Friday, January 26, 2024

Earth Fragments: Pachamama / Backing

 This quilt was made long ago by either my grandmother or great grandmother. At some point, my mom gave it to me - probably to protect furniture while moving. It is in very poor shape - complete with a giant hole chewed by a mouse. I think it was after the old cotton batting to line it's nest. I cut off the really bad part and washed the quilt a couple of times. I think it will make a good backing for Pachamama. One of my goals in creating the quilt series is to use things I have in my stash (yes, I'm always Swedish Death Cleaning!)


I also thought it fitting to use a small piece on the front of the quilt. Kind of a record of existence? It seemed too harsh in color contrast for the rest of the piece - so into the dye pot! Add a few beads and a little stitch and voila!, a memory is preserved.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment