Monday, January 8, 2018

Studio 52 - Gamla Uppsala

I signed up to participate in Studio 52 (on facebook).  During the year we are encouraged to create weekly art for ourselves.  This type of project came at a good time for me as I explore my new world of retirement.  While unpacking from my trip, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of maps I had picked up from various places.  Maps of cities, subway maps, art museum brochures with maps, etc.  It was pretty easy to pick a theme of Maps & Places for my year of a series.

To challenge myself, I will be working in fabric.  I would like each map to be functional in a quilt (it can be washed in the washing machine). 

#1 map is Gamla Uppsala, Sweden.  I'm not totally happy with how it turned out, but one must start somewhere.  I scanned the image and then printed it as large as possible on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  From there I used tracing paper to create a "map", (or pattern), for my quilt.  This first block was a great learning experience and gave me some hints on what not to do in the future.



It was missing something...

Yes, words make a difference!  

No comments:

Post a Comment