Friday, July 10, 2020

Cyanotype / first try

With too many home projects going at the same time, it's been difficult to fit much art into my schedule.  I did manage to play awhile this afternoon with a cyanotype kit from a friend (Thank you Beth!)

I opted to use watercolour paper and a rock for my first try.   First, mix the 2 chemicals together and brush onto the paper.  I worked in a dark room and put the papers in a closet to dry.


After the papers were dry, I placed leaves and flowers on the papers, covered with a sheet of plexi and placed in the sun for 30 minutes.  After the 30 minutes, I removed the plant material and washed the papers in water for 5 minutes.


For the rock, I set the flowers on the rock and placed it in a plastic bag.  I wasn't sure how to keep the flowers from blowing off the rock.  The prints are not as sharp as the flowers on the paper, but are still very cool!  I wonder if a little glue could be used, or maybe setting them in the greenhouse with the windows closed would work better?  I see lots of experimenting ahead.  Too bad I have so few light coloured rocks on hand!





No comments:

Post a Comment