I've had decorate the Christmas tree on my list of things to do for over a week. Not so fun when the kids aren't here to help. I miss the excitement of looking in the ornament box after a year of being stored with them. I finally broke down and decorated today.
There are some very old and special ornaments that I pulled out and created my own joy. I think this year when I put them away I need to include the story about a few. The slices of corn cob wreaths that Jes and I made 25 years ago, the 2 birds in a basket that my mom gave me even longer ago than that, the gnomes that Arrianne and I painted years ago... We remember the past each Christmas, then look to the future.
This year we are all ready to put 2020 behind, but I think each of us has discovered (or re-discovered) some important qualities in our characters.
- I realized early on that I really don't mind being isolated as long as I can talk to friends and family either by text or phone.
- I'm not that social of a person.
- Afternoon naps are amazing
- I am a list maker, and am pleasantly pleased with the number of things I crossed off this year
- Baking makes me happy. Actually, working in the kitchen makes me happy when I can take time and enjoy the process
- My mom is my best friend
- I am lucky and thankful to be alive and well