Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Air pollution

The Air is Poisoned 

Contaminated by chemicals, the air burns my lungs and eyes.  Thick black smoke from burning heavy fuels suffocates.  It is so difficult to breathe.  All I want is to take a deep breath without choking.

I live in a rural community, but even in this remote location we deal with bad air at times.  Crop dusters always send me inside the house - I don't want to breathe that air filled with horrible chemicals.  I cannot imagine what is like living in a city with air that injures and kills. While doing research for this dress, I read about the Great Smog of London, December 5th - 9th, 1952. During this time, deadly smog killed between 4,000 and 10,000 people, caused by burning coal and weather patterns. 

What can we do to improve our air? For starters:

Drive your car less.  
Reduce gas consumption
Keep your car in good repair
Don't burn your trash
Plant and care for trees

I think my easiest is to plant more trees.  I live on 10 acres, which is mostly woods.  Every year we try to plant more trees.  I usually grumble when my husband's tree order arrives, but once in the ground I am very pleased with seeing more trees growing. It always seems like a small effort in a huge world, but if everyone planted a tree each year that would be 8 billion more trees on our planet. 









No comments:

Post a Comment